11/17/2006

Diveristy Management

Today, the topic of the HRM class was diversity management. It made me feel so excited since it's something related to my honor project.


Diversity, heard about this word a lot after joining AIESEC. Living diversity, what does it actually mean? I thought that it means living with different culture, people, perspective etc. I feel so much more than that today.

Diversity is not only limited in races, culture but also educational level, socioeconomic background, belief, values. Challenge your world-view is the first step to lead to living diversity, but that's just the stage on knowing / recognizing. Living diversity is much more than that. It should be..

recognize -- understand -- tolerate -- making sense.

I think the part of tolerating is the hardest part to do. I understand cultural differences, however, can I tolerate it? Does it make sense to me? Maybe not. If i just understand and the cultural differences, I'm not truly living diversity. Living diversity is how much you can make different culture and values make sense to you. Well, at this moment, not all of those are making sense to me.

In AIESEC, I work with internationals, I work with people from different background with different beliefs and values, i treasure it and found it interesting. Differences united us to work on a common vision, that's how AIESEC is.

I think the top priorities of leaders should be "how to manage diversity?" If you could manage it well, it brings you lots of benefits, like innovation, new ideas and increase of productivity. If you failed to manage it, it brings you even more conflict and distance.

More and more companies should focus on diversity management, it's no longer a world with lots of boundaries but a flatten world.

The video of the Disney HR talks about Diversity Management really impressed me...Cross Culture communication management.

Education diversity.. should be an interesting topic to study. To analysis CEO's major and see how it affects their leadership style. It's always fun to analysis how organizational culture being affected by those factors.

The leadership I desire....

Leadership should be more participative than directive, more enabling than performing.

沒有留言: